Is it crazy for ketchup to bring me such a smile?
Honestly! I didn't know if I should name this delicacy “Oh My Lans Ketchup!”, “Mercy Sakes Ketchup!”, or “You Are Never Going to Believe It Ketchup!”.
When I think about this delicious, simple, and nutritious condiment, I can only shake my head. Can you imagine encouraging your child to take a dip in ketchup? Who doesn't love to dip?
Enjoy the taste and tang of summer year round with this lacto-fermented treat! Your gut will thank you… as will each of your friends and family members! 🙂
- 12 ounces organic tomato paste (no salt added)
- ¼ + ⅛ cup water
- ⅛ cup whey (or water*)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder (could probably use a prepared Dijon mustard if you don't have powder)
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (I used larger grained salt)
- ¼ to ⅓ cup maple syrup or honey (you could even add a bit of molasses)
- *If using water instead of whey, increase sea salt to ¾ teaspoon.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
- Pour sauce into a storage container.
- Cover and leave at room temperature for 2 days.
- Move to the fridge.
Do you make your own homemade ketchup? Will you try lacto-fermenting it next time?
This post was featured in 43 Fermented & Probiotic-Filled Condiments and 92 Nourishing Grill & Barbecue Dishes, Drinks, & Desserts.
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!