My son C. loves, loves, loves lentil sprouts! He got it from my dad. When my mom and dad go on road trips, my dad keeps his sprouts going. He makes stops to rinse and drain sprouts just like he used to make potty stops for us when we were growing up. 😉
I remember vividly the day C. fell in love with lentil sprouts. We were in San Francisco visiting my sister and my parents were there, too. My dad had his bag of sprouts along (of course). He sat on the front steps munching them. C. was maybe 3 or 4, something like that. He said, “What's that, Sido?” (Sido is grandfather in Arabic.) Of course Sido shared. And that was the end of that. Or rather, the beginning, of C.'s love for sprouts — especially lentil.
C. has been wanting sprouts lately, but I haven't been getting them going. So he started them himself about a week ago, and he's been rinsing and caring for them daily. And making our dinner salads with them. (He's 11.) Here's his recipe. We hope you enjoy it! (Also check out Erin's Lentil Slaw, plus two other recipes for sprouted lentils.)
C.'s Lentil Sprout Salad
- 4 cups lentil sprouts (directions are here or taught in Fundamentals eCourse)
- 1/8 red onion, finely diced or thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- other diced veggies, as you desire — like tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup crumbled raw cheese — feta is really good!
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- pinch black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped basil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Toss all ingredients together and serve. 🙂
Do you like lentil sprouts? What do you make with them?
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!