Calendula is a wonderful healing herb — an excellent aid for skin ailments of all kind and the perfect herb for salve-making! I am constantly amazed at the speed with which it heals rashes and wounds. I also love that it is gentle enough to be used by the whole family.
Make up a batch of this healing salve in about 15 minutes with just a few simple ingredients. You'll have a go-to remedy for all rashes (including diaper rash), cuts, scrapes, bruises, burns, bites, blisters, and dry skin.
Pour it into a pretty jar, top it with a label and ribbon, and it also makes a thoughtful gift!
- Pour the oil into a pot and warm over very low heat.
- Add the beeswax and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the essential oil and turmeric.
- Pour into jars or containers.
- Store in a cool, dark place.
- Fill a jar with dried flowers. (I used dried flowers over fresh to reduce the risk of spoilage.)
- Pour olive oil over the flowers until the jar is almost full.
- Put the lid on and store for 3 to 6 weeks, shaking the jar periodically. (The longer it sits, the more potent your oil will be.)
- Strain the oil and use.
- For a quicker method, combine the above ingredients in the top of a double boiler and heat over a very low simmer for several hours, stirring occasionally. Strain and use.
Make Your Own Salves and Herbal Blends
These recipes will work well with any herb, not just calendula. If you have several herbal oils it is easy to make your own varieties. Different types of salves in decorative jars and packaged together make a beautiful gift!
Have you made your own calendula salve or any other herbal salves? What are your favorite herbs to use?
This post was featured in 20 Homemade Herbal Gifts.
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!