“Tell me more about feeding and using a gluten-free sourdough starter!” says Sophia N. on today's #AskWardee.
Sophia N. asks:
“I just finished listening to Know Your Food with Wardee podcast episode 100 on sourdough starter questions. Is the process of making and sustaining a starter the same if gluten-free flour is used, for example, buckwheat? Also, how is gluten-free sourdough incorporated into gluten-free recipes? Do specific gluten-free sourdough recipes need to be used?”
Yes, the process is very similar for feeding a gluten-free sourdough starter.
You might want to look into using a boosted brown rice starter, however. This is because sometimes a gluten-free starter needs a little “help” in the form of Kombucha or water kefir every few days — to keep it active and bubbly.
Tips for Using Gluten-Free Sourdough Starter
1. Use a blend of flours rather than just one gluten-free flour. Gluten-free flours have strong peculiarities and each one is different. So use a blend to get more of an all-purpose flour result.
2. Don’t switch flours often when feeding your starter. Stick to a blend or buckwheat or brown rice for a length of time.
3. If you need to switch, allow a transition and also “boost” your starter as I mentioned earlier.
4. Use tried and true recipes.
5. If starting a gluten-free starter is difficult or you just want to start right, there’s no harm in starting with an established starter that you revive in your kitchen.
Here are two sources for gluten-free starters:
- Gluten-Free Sourdough Starter from Sharon Kane (an expert at gluten-free sourdough)
- Cultures for Health Brown Rice Starter
- Sourdough A to Z eBook
- Sourdough eCourse
- Free Sourdough Starter Instructions from me — when you get the regular instructions, reply back and request the gluten-free version!
- Allergy-Free Cooking eCourse/eBook
- The Art of Gluten-Free Sourdough Baking by Sharon Kane (plus she has starters and mixes!)
- Cultures for Health brown Rice Starter
The Maca Coffee Drink Recipe
In the beginning of this episode I told you about my new favorite drink. Here are the deets!
- DIY Herbal Coffee Substitutes eBook
- The best maca — from The Maca Team
- Stevia (or your preferred unrefined sweetener)
- Cream (I use soured cream that rises to the top of my homemade yogurt.)
Put cream, 1/2 to 1 tablespoon maca and sweetener in the bottom of a mug. Add a small amount of hot “coffee”. Mix well. Mash lumps against the side of the cup to dissolve/mix in the maca. Add more hot “coffee” to fill the mug. Enjoy!
What Is The #AskWardee Show?
The #AskWardee is the live weekly show devoted to answering your niggling questions about traditional cooking: whether it's your sourdough starter, your sauerkraut, preserving foods, broth, superfoods or anything else to do with Traditional Cooking.
I share tips and resources, plus answer your questions about Traditional Cooking!
When: Wednesdays at 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern
What If You Can't Make It?
Don't worry. You can catch the replays or listen to the podcast!
- Come back here to AskWardee.TV; all replays will be up within hours of airing live; the print notes are always posted at the same time I go live.
- Follow @TradCookSchool on Periscope or Traditional Cooking School on Facebook to view the replay.
- Subscribe to the #AskWardee podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, YouTube, or the Podcasts app. While you're there, be sure to leave a rating and review!
Want To Get YOUR Questions Answered?
Click the button below to submit your questions via Facebook.
Or, you can…
- Tweet your question to @TradCookSchool on Twitter; use hashtag #AskWardee
- Send an email to wardee at AskWardee dot tv — add #AskWardee to your email so I know it's for the show
Please do NOT add future questions for #AskWardee to the comments of this post because they might get missed!
Do you use gluten-free sourdough starter? Can you share your tips for keeping your gluten-free sourdough starter alive and well?
Be sure to subscribe to my channel on YouTube! Go here to subscribe.
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!