What's your favorite dessert?
Only one thing trumps ice cream in my heart…
And that's custard.
I love it poured over cake or crumble. I love it by itself. I love eating it with a spoon!
And I love it especially in this Chocolate Eclair Cake!
Many years ago, when I made custard with white flour and sugar, I kept the recipe loose in a top drawer in my kitchen. Such easy access. 😉
My love for custard began during a semester abroad in England. When I asked multiple locals for their recipes, I was shocked to learn that they all used packets! Dry mixes of processed ingredients mixed with pasteurized milk?! Ahh! Where were the traditional custards of their great-grandmothers?
I learned from Sally Fallon in Nourishing Traditions that arrowroot is rich in trace minerals. It thrives only on tidal flats where sea minerals are available. So even though it's white, starchy, and makes a thick, creamy dessert, it has merit in the world of nutrient-dense ingredients.
Not to mention, arrowroot custard is just plain quick to make! There's nothing like a rich, comforting, and easy dessert. Whether you eat it warm or hot, it will still be thick. Eat it chilled if you want it to set up more.
- Whisk together arrowroot and gelatin in a small bowl.
- Into a medium saucepan, pour milk, egg yolks, maple syrup, and sea salt.
- Sprinkle the arrowroot mixture over its surface, and whisk again to combine.
- Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring CONSTANTLY until the pudding begins to thicken. It will start to steam first, which is your sign that the custard is almost done.
- Once thickened, remove immediately from the heat.
- Add butter and vanilla and continue to stir until mixed.
- Pour into individual serving dishes, and serve or chill.
What's your favorite dessert? Do you love custard as much as I do?
This post was featured in 51 Cold Summer Desserts.
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!