Hey there, Trim Healthy Mamas!
I searched the Internet far and wide for a traditionally prepared, stevia-sweetened, E (Energizing) dessert…
And came up empty-handed. 🙁
So at 9:00 one night, when the craving for something sweet just wouldn't leave me alone…
Well, you know how it is. Desperate times, right?
Thankfully, I had some essentials on hand for a rice pudding, but I didn't want to wait for my rice to soak overnight. I did have sprouted brown rice, yet that takes 45 minutes to cook on the stove — and it was already late!
Knowing I couldn't get to bed until I'd satisfied my sweet tooth, I just started throwing things in my Instant Pot. I was inspired by our dear friend Megan's Instant Pot Rice Pudding. And I wanted to give it a Trim Healthy Mama twist!
Our beloved traditional foods, like sprouted brown rice, raw milk yogurt, and cultured cottage cheese, have found their way into this creamy, not-too-sweet, THM:E rice pudding. And, if I do say so myself, it's as yummy as it is beautiful!
Want A FREE 1-Week Trim Healthy Mama Menu Plan?
If you're looking for more examples of how I eat Trim Healthy Mama with Traditional Foods, click here to get my FREE Traditional Food + Trim Healthy Mama 1-Week Menu Plan.
Other than cooking (sorry, you have to do that yourself), I did all the planning for you — meals, snacks, desserts, prep steps, and shopping list for 7 days! Get it here.
How To Make THM:E Rice Pudding
According to THM principles, rice is in the E or “Energizing” category. This category focuses on protein and healthy carbs for fuel and saves fat for those S or “Satisfying” meals, which are protein and healthy fat.
This Instant Pot Rice Pudding is delish and oh-so-creamy, yet it's not THM-friendly because it combines fat (heavy cream) and carbs (rice and maple syrup). (Read more about the details of the plan in the Trim Healthy Mama book and the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook.)
Basically, I had to swap out some key ingredients while still maintaining sweetness and a thick, creamy texture. Blending my homemade coconut milk with the peaches gave me the creaminess I sought. And just a hint of sweet — but not bitterness — comes from the stevia and fruits.
My favorite part of this dessert? The Probiotic Ginger Drizzle!
I use the full teaspoon of ginger powder for a delightful spicy-sweet-tangy drizzle that keeps me going back for more!
Let's Get In The Kitchen!
Blackberry, Ginger, & Peach Sprouted Brown Rice Pudding w/ Probiotic Ginger Drizzle
Thick and creamy with a delightful spicy-sweet-tangy drizzle, this rice pudding keeps me going back for more!Serves 3 to 4, with a 1/2 cup of drizzle divided between.
For the pudding:
- 3 cups Trim Healthy Mama on-plan, unsweetened almond or coconut milk (make your own!)
- 2 medium-sized fresh peaches OR 2 cups frozen peaches
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 3 doonks stevia extract powder
- 1 cup sprouted brown rice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup skimmed raw milk yogurt OR non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the drizzle:
To make the pudding:
- In a blender, combine the on-plan, unsweetened almond or coconut milk with the peaches, ginger, and stevia.
- Pour into the Instant Pot or other pressure cooker (electric or stove-top).
- Add the sprouted brown rice and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on cooker and seal the vent.
- If using an electric cooker, set to high pressure for 25 minutes. Or if using a stove-top cooker, bring to high pressure and maintain pressure for a cook time of 25 minutes.
- When done, quick release pressure.
- Stir in the blackberries, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Serve warm with the Ginger Drizzle (see below).
To make the drizzle:
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on low-medium speed until smooth.
- Drizzle over the rice pudding.
Courses Dessert, Breakfast
Do you struggle to find THM:E dessert recipes? Have you ever made a THM:E rice pudding?
This post was featured in 47 Trim Healthy Mama E Meals & Snacks With Traditional Foods, 57 Trim Healthy Mama Potluck Dishes With No Funky Ingredients, and 17 Stevia-Sweetened Desserts (that actually taste GOOD!).
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!