This is one of a series of posts during the month of May, during which time the Harmon family has vowed not to consume any sweeteners, natural or refined. We call the challenge “Beyond Sugar” and would love to have you join us, in whatever way you feel led!
Today, I want to talk about a big challenge my family faces in going Beyond Sugar – snacks. What to eat when we’re used to turning to a cookie, or muffin, or dried fruit? I will need your help on this, for sure!
I’m discouraging consumption of dried fruit since it is concentrated fruit sugar, which can have a similar effect as a concentrated natural or refined sweetener.
Here are some ideas that I’ve been jotting down the last few days. The bonus is that now we’re coming up on warm weather, many of these are wonderful as part of light meals on hot days.
- Spelt Biscuits with natural peanut butter or almond butter – Yesterday, B. made these biscuits all by herself; they’re delicious, easy, and quick!
- The above biscuits but with chopped nuts and cinnamon added for a scone-type snack
- Toast from sprouted grain bread with natural peanut butter or almond butter or black bean spread or pinto bean spread
- Nuts and seeds – This morning I started soaking almonds, hazelnuts and pumpkin seeds to make Crispy Almonds, Crispy Hazelnuts, and Crispy Pumpkin Seeds (all from Nourishing Traditions, pages 513 through 515)
- Carrot Bars – sweetened with dates and apples
- Fresh, whole fruit – waiting for more to come in season!
- Veggies – waiting for more to come in season!
- Popcorn, popped in red palm oil
- Sprouted Spelt Crackers
- Raw Cheddar Goat Cheese (from Azure Standard) with crackers or biscuits
- Eggs and biscuits
What would you add to this list? What not-sweet snacks foods are your family’s favorites?
make simple & delicious traditionally-cooked meals using ingredients you already have, even leftovers... 30 min or less!
free worksheet + videos:
"30-Minute Skillet Dishes"
Save Time, Spend Less, and Eat Healthy with
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).