In this episode of Know Your Food with Wardee, join me and my special guest Vickilynn Haycraft from RealFoodLiving.com and the radio show Get Real—Get Prepared. We are talking about milling your own grains and choosing the right grain mill. Why would you want to mill your own grains? What kind of grains mills are on the market? How to choose the right grain mill? And much more!
Won’t play for you? Try here.
At the beginning of this episode, I mentioned one newsy item, and that is that I’ll be in Arizona in late March and I’m planning a gathering with GNOWFGLINS friends on Sunday, March 24, 2013. I look forward to meeting you there!
Grain Mills 101
In this episode, Vickilynn and I covered a lot of ground. Here are the questions I asked:
- Why did you begin milling your own grains? (great story here!)
- Why should everyone consider milling their own grains?
- What types of grains mills are on the market?
- What are the pros and cons of each type of grain mill?
- What non-electric mills would you recommend?
- What kind of questions should someone ask themselves in order to know what kind of mill to buy? (This is the best part of the whole episode!)
- What’s your approach when reviewing grain mills?
- What resources would you recommend for listeners looking into grain mills and fresh milled grains?
See what I mean? Tons of information. Good, good stuff.
Grain Mills 101
Here are the resources mentioned in this episode:
- Vickilynn’s website — Real Food Living
- Product reviews at Real Food Living
- Vickilynn’s radio show Get Real — Get Prepared
- Whole Grains Council
- Millers Grain House (mill comparison chart to download)
- Amazing Graze Farm Store
- Free soaked, sprouted, and sourdough whole-grain recipes here at gnowfglins
I’m a Guest!
Coming up in about a week, I’m a guest on Vickilynn’s show, and we’re talking about dehydrating. Here’s the link to that. It will air on Saturday, March 2, 2013. You can listen live or listen later (just unfortunately not early). If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, I’ll put up a reminder nearer to the time.
And that’s it — have a blessed week, everyone!
I’d be grateful if you’d visit my podcast on iTunes and leave a rating and/or review. KnowYourFoodPodcast.com/iTunes or traditionalcookingschool.com/iTunes This helps me make my podcast better and also helps others find it. Thank you!
For past or current episodes, check out the Know Your Food with Wardee podcast archives.
Anything to Add?
Feel free to ask additional questions or leave comments about this episode below.
Like this podcast? Please help me reach others by using the share buttons at the top of this post. Thanks!
...without giving up the foods you love or spending all day in the kitchen!
2 free books:
Eat God's Way
Ditch the Standard American Diet, get healthier & happier, and save money on groceries...
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).