Cheesemaking 101 — Why make cheese? What are common problems and solutions in cheesemaking? What’s so great about The Ultimate Cheesepress? What are basic beginning tools for cheesemakers? What recipes are great when you’re just starting out? And much more on today’s episode of Know Your Food with Wardee.
Click play below to listen to this week’s podcast! See below if you want other options.
Won’t play for you? Try here.
Mobile or desktop users, you can hear my podcast with Stitcher, on-demand and on-the-go. (What’s Stitcher?) You can also get it on iTunes or subscribe in the Podcasts app. Please leave a comment or rating in iTunes and Stitcher!
Did you notice the URL listed there on the top picture? I set up the domain of KnowYourFoodPodcast.com just for my podcast — to make it easier for listeners to get to show notes without having to remember how to spell traditionalcookingschool.com.
FYI: You can find each episode easily by using the format below. The # refers to the episode number and each URL will redirect you to the corresponding page on traditionalcookingschool.com:
Go ahead and give it a try. I’ll wait. 😉
You can also continue to use traditionalcookingschool.com following the same format. This works, too!
Now, back to today’s episode.
What’s in Episode #6?
In this episode of Know Your Food with Wardee, I’m visiting with Jerri Beddell from HomesteaderSupply.com. She’s the business partner of Nance Sparks, my guest on episode #4. Here’s a little bit about Jerri.
“Jerri was born and raised a city girl. She was a nurse for about 30 years, heavily into natural and alternative therapies. She started a small farming venture, with future Homesteader’s Supply business partner Nance Sparks. Together, they learned the many the ways of homesteading raising milk cows, beef cows, pigs, emus, sheep, horses, goats, chickens, ducks, turkeys. They also learned how to create natural milk products, process their own meat, and preserve their own bounty from the garden. When the economy went down, they were able to help friends by sharing their bounty. Then, they turned their talents toward developing Homesteader’s Supply.”
In this episode, Jerri shared soooo much of her wisdom about cheesemaking. Here are just some of the questions she answered:
- How did you get into cheesemaking?
- Why do you like to make cheese?
- Why would you recommend people get into cheesemaking?
- Are there risks with cheesemaking, like common problems or contamination?
- Where did you learn cheesemaking? Who is your inspiration?
- Tell us about your new cheesepress — when and how did you notice a need for it? What problems does it solve?
- How is your cheesepress made?
- What are the minimum (tools, starters, etc.) people need to get started with cheesemaking?
- What beginner recipes would you recommend for people getting started with cheesemaking?
- What resources for cheesemaking would you recommend?
Here are the links mentioned in this episode:
- My Ultimate Cheese Press review and video demonstration
- My online class: Cultured Dairy and Basic Cheese
- Margaret Morris’ The Cheese Maker’s Manual
- Cheesemaking tools at HomesteaderSupply.com (including that whisk Jerri mentioned, which I now have!)
- Urban Homestead South Africa — this week’s farm tour
- Got Questions or Comments? — to leave a voice recording for me to answer or share on the podcast
- My podcast now on Stitcher — search for “Know Your Food with Wardee”
- My podcast on iTunes — search for “Know Your Food with Wardee”
- The Apple Podcasts app — search for “Know Your Food with Wardee”
What’s Coming Up…
Next week, we change gears completely! Jami Delgado, Real Food Kids teacher from EatNourishing.com — plus her husband Anthony — join me to talk about their school bus conversion. They’re simplifying their life to live within their means, and converting a 1980s school bus into a home for their family of five. They’ve got an awesome story and a sweet perspective on life that I know you’re going to love.
You can get a quick peek at what’s coming by visiting the blog devoted to the conversion story: 2cool4skoolie.com.
For past or current episodes, check out the Know Your Food with Wardee podcast archives.
It’s Your Turn
Feel free to share your comments or questions about this episode below. Thanks for listening!
Like this podcast? Please help me reach others by using the share buttons at the top of this post. Thanks!
...without giving up the foods you love or spending all day in the kitchen!
2 free books:
Eat God's Way
Ditch the Standard American Diet, get healthier & happier, and save money on groceries...
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).