This is Part 1! Be sure to listen to Part 2 also.
Who knew gelatin could be so beautiful (see that book cover below)… or so marvelously healing? As Sylvie McCracken found out, gelatin is one of the foods we should all be eating more. It's crucial for many aspects of our health including bones, teeth, skin, and more.
A celebrity personal assistant by day and writer/chef/mom by night and weekend, Sylvie blogs at Hollywood Homestead. She's the author of the new and beautiful book, The Gelatin Secret. (I highly recommend it!)
Gelatin is a secret no more, thanks to Sylvie's great work!
Get to know Sylvie, her family, and more about gelatin through the links and information below, and of course through this podcast (which is part 1 of 2). Check out Part 2 here. Plus… the tip of the week!
Won't play for you? Try here. Mobile or desktop users, you can hear my podcast with Stitcher, on-demand and on-the-go. (What's Stitcher?) You can also get it on iTunes or subscribe in the Podcasts app.
An Announcement and Welcome to Survival Mom Listeners!
My podcast is now in the line-up at The Survival Mom Radio Network. I'm so excited to join the ladies over there (many are great friends).
What does this mean for you? Not much, except…
1) My episodes will be shorter from here on out. I'm changing them from around an hour each to about 30 minutes. I am actually very happy about this because it's easier for most people to find time for a half hour show. (Before making this change, I had already visited with Sylvie for around an hour — thus why I'm breaking this one up into two parts.)
And a big, big welcome to everyone coming over from Survival Mom radio!
Tip of the Week: Eat More Gelatin
This tip totally makes sense with us talking about gelatin today, so here's your assignment: eat more of it! How to eat it? Well, you can start with consuming more broth/stock from pastured animals. That's the most basic way. You can also add it to your tea or supplement a cup of broth more of it. Finally, you can cook with it — perhaps in the Kombucha Jello (pictured above) or in this Chocolate Custard. Sylvie's book The Gelatin Secret contains even more recipes and ideas!
This week's questions come from Kristin:
“I have two questions.
1) When soaking the beans, you give the alternative of adding baking soda to the soak water. Is this in place of the acid medium or in addition to the acid medium? Wouldn't baking soda neutralize the acid medium? What exactly is the acid medium doing that plain water won't do?
2) What is the difference between soaking beans and soaking grains? You state the bean soak water must be discarded, but that is not true of the grain soaking water as you say it is OK to cook in the grain soaking water. Why? What happened to the phytates? Were they converted into something else?”
My answers are in the podcast, plus here are links that pertain:
About Sylvie McCracken and Hollywood Homestead
Sylvie is a celebrity personal assistant and mom of 3 by day, paleo enthusiast and author by night. She and stay-at-home-dad hubby, Eric, each lost over 65 pounds with paleo and continue to improve their family's health with food and lifestyle tweaks. Sylvie blogs at Hollywood Homestead. You can also follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Instagram. Sylvie's first eBook, The Paleo Survival Guide, has helped thousands of families succeed with paleo. Sylvie just released her second eBook, The Gelatin Secret.
About “The Gelatin Secret” — Sylvie's eBook
“This revolutionary eBook reveals what you MUST know about gelatin and its powerful ability to transform your health and beauty — naturally! I’ve turned to the proven gelatin secrets and recipes that my husband and I used to lose over 60 punds each in the very first year of embracing a real foods diet. I’ve distilled the essential facts that you need to know down into an easy practical eBook that will help anyone turn the tide on all manner of health problems. What you’ll find revealed in this one-of-a-kind eBook are all the simple, time-tested facts and recipes to know in order to turn bone, joint, dental, gut, brain, hair, skin, beauty and weight loss problems on their head. –Sylvie McCracken, author of The Gelatin Secret.”
Sylvie is also the author of The Paleo Survival Guide.
- Hollywood Homestead — Sylvie's blog
- The Gelatin Secret — Sylvie's book
- Hollywood Homestead on Facebook
- Hollywood Homestead on Twitter
- Hollywood Homestead on Pinterest
- Hollywood Homestead on Instagram
- Sylvie's health journey — blog post
- Kombucha Jello (pictured above) — made with gelatin
- Chocolate Custard — made with gelatin
- Recommended Gelatin brands — Great Lakes or Bernard Jensen
- Great Lakes collagen — dissolves easily
I'm so grateful when you visit my show on iTunes and leave a rating and/or review! KnowYourFoodPodcast.com/iTunes This helps me make my podcast better and also helps others find it. Thank you! For past or current episodes, check out the Know Your Food with Wardee podcast archives.
Anything to Add?
I would love to hear from you! Do you have questions for Sylvie or comments about anything shared in this episode? Like this podcast? Please help me reach others by using the share buttons at the top of this post. Thanks!
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).