Did you know you can make your own herbal salve… in the Instant Pot?!
Yes, you read that right.
The Instant Pot is the perfect tool for making a handmade salve. The process is even mostly hands-free — giving you more time for all of your other projects.
The recipe requires 2 simple steps. First, you make an herb-infused oil. Second, you make an herbal salve. That's really it!
Here's how to make an herbal salve in the Instant Pot!
Homemade Herbal Salve In The Instant Pot
Did you know you can make your own herbal salve... in the Instant Pot?! The process is even mostly hands-free -- giving you more time for all of your other projects. The recipe requires 2 simple steps. First, you make an herb-infused oil. Second, you make an herbal salve.
For the herb-infused oil:
- about 1 ounce herb(s) of choice (see below for ideas)
- about 1 1/4 cups olive oil
- Mason jar(s) small enough to fit in Instant Pot
For the herbal salve:
Step #1: Making An Herb-Infused Oil
- Fill Mason jar about 1/2 full of dried herb of choice.
- Add olive oil to cover the herb by at least 1 inch. For an herbal salve, you need 1 cup of finished oil, so make sure to cover the herb with at least 1 1/4 cups of olive oil.
- If you chose multiple herbs, repeat the steps above for the others. The 6-quart Instant Pot fits at least 3 Mason jars at a time, depending on their size.
- Place the jar(s), uncovered, in the Instant Pot and secure the lid.
- Put the Instant Pot on the yogurt setting and set the time for anywhere between 24 and 72 hours. The longer the time, the more potent the finished oil.
- When time is complete, strain herbs out of the oil using a fine strainer and/or cheesecloth. Gently press the herbs to get as much oil out as possible.
- Use the herbal oil by itself, or continue to Step #2 to make it into an herbal salve!
Step #2: Making An Herbal Salve
- Fill Instant Pot with about 2 inches of water.
- Choose the Slow Cook setting and set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Pour oil into a Pyrex measuring cup or Mason jar.
- Stir in the beeswax.
- Place the measuring cup or jar into Instant Pot, being careful not to get any water into the oil. Do not cover the Instant Pot.
- Stir the mixture periodically until all of the beeswax has melted. Mine usually takes somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes.
- When the beeswax is fully melted, put a few drops of the oil mixture onto a piece of wax paper to check the consistency.
- Let it cool for a minute or two. If the consistency is too hard, add a little more oil. If it's too soft, add a little more beeswax.
- Once you're happy with the consistency, remove measuring cup or Mason jar from the Instant Pot.
- Add essential oils, if using.
- Immediately pour into cosmetic jars.
- Leave to cool.
- Once cool, put the lids on the jars. They are now ready to use!
Courses Household & Health
Commonly Used Herbs
- Arnica flowers
- Calendula (my favorite)
- Chamomile flowers
- Dandelion flowers
- Plantain leaf
- Yarrow flowers
Did you know you could make an herbal salve in the Instant Pot? Have you tried it?
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!