“How do I know if my kefir grains aren't good anymore?” is the question on today's #AskWardee.
“How do I recognize if milk kefir grains are not good anymore and need to be replaced?
The reason I am asking is that for the longest time my kefir grains were not growing. In the end I found out the reason. It turned out that the temperature in my fridge was too warm so my raw milk was starting to turn sour in less than 10 days. I would still use the soured milk to make the kefir and I think that this is what made the grains not grow. Competition from the bacteria from souring milk?
I have turned down the temperature and the milk lasts for ever now. At least 3 weeks. How long raw milk is supposed to last anyway?
Now I do not use sour milk anymore and the grains grow quite nicely (for the first time) but I noticed that the kefir becomes yeasty. There is this yeasty “blanket” on top. I stir it in and it is still good but I wonder if maybe I should get different kefir grains. Maybe these ones are not that beneficial/healthy anymore?
Thank you very much. –Alina”
- Fermenting Formulas Cheat Sheet (freebie)
- DIY Herbal Coffee eBook (what I was drinking)
- Eat Beautiful eCookbook by Megan Stevens
What Is The #AskWardee Show?
The #AskWardee is the live weekly show devoted to answering your niggling questions about traditional cooking: whether it's your sourdough starter, your sauerkraut, preserving foods, broth, superfoods or anything else to do with Traditional Cooking or your GNOWFGLINS lifestyle.
I share tips and resources, plus answer your questions about Traditional Cooking!
When: Wednesdays at 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern
What If You Can't Make It?
Don't worry. You can catch the replays or listen to the podcast!
- Come back here to AskWardee.TV; all replays will be up within hours of airing live; the print notes are always posted at the same time I go live.
- Follow @TradCookSchool on Periscope or Traditional Cooking School on Facebook to view the replay.
- Subscribe to the #AskWardee podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, YouTube, or the Podcasts app. While you're there, be sure to leave a rating and review!
Want To Get YOUR Question Answered?
Here's how to submit your question. If we answer it on #AskWardee, you'll get a gift!
Or, you can…
- Tweet your question to @TradCookSchool on Twitter; use hashtag #AskWardee
- Send an email to wardee at AskWardee dot tv — add #AskWardee to your email so I know it's for the show
Please do NOT add future questions for #AskWardee to the comments of this post because they might get missed!
How do you keep your kefir grains healthy? How do you tell if they're doing well or not?
Be sure to subscribe to my channel on YouTube! Go here to subscribe.
thick and creamy... and cheaper than store-bought!
Free Recipe: "How To Make Thick Raw Milk Yogurt"
Is it really possible to "eat what you want to eat" like bread and butter, cinnamon rolls and cookies, meat and potatoes...
Bible-based cooking program...
...yet it's GOOD for you?
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).