To me and all of my friends, fall in the Pacific Northwest means something very specific…
It means stormy trips to the corn maze in muck boots and rain jackets, leaf-raking parties, and Bible trivia games — lit by flickering candlelight because the power went out in the middle of youth group.
And let's not forget steaming mugs of apple cider around a bonfire!
I'm experiencing a very different fall now that I've moved across the country. And as a result, I have not had my fill of apple cider yet this season!
This apple cranberry crisp highlights all the flavors of a mulled apple cider — with a holiday twist of cranberries, and a lovely crispy crunchy topping.
Finally, this recipe is also grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free, with a nut-free option.
Allergy-Friendly Apple Cranberry Crisp In The Instant Pot
For the filling:
- 3 apples medium, cored and cubed
- 2 pears firm, cored and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries I used frozen
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or sucanat or rapadura, feel free to increase if you prefer sweeter
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, soak and dehydrate your own! (optional -- omit for nut-free variation)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or sucanat or rapadura
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or butter, softened but not melted
To make the filling:
Combine cored and cubed apples and pears in the bottom of an 8-inch, 2-quart oven-safe dish, such as this one.
Then add cranberries, lemon juice, sweetener, arrowroot powder, and spices.
Mix until evenly distributed.
To make the topping:
In a separate small mixing bowl, combine coconut flour, chia seeds, coconut, nuts if desired, sweetener, spices, and salt.
Add coconut oil in small chunks.
Then mix gently with a fork until evenly distributed.
To make the apple cranberry crisp:
Layer topping over filling ingredients.
Then make a foil sling to go under the baking dish (see how to make a foil sling here!). And make sure to reinforce your sling with extra pieces of aluminum foil, as this dish becomes too heavy for a single piece of aluminum folded lengthwise.
Add 2 cups of water and a trivet to pressure cooker.
Then, using the foil sling to transport, gently lower baking dish inside cooker.
Put on the lid of your cooker, checking that the seals and all components are in good shape, including being in the sealing position.
If using an electric cooker, set to high for 20 minutes.
If using a stove-top cooker, bring to high pressure and maintain pressure for a cook time of 20 minutes.
Once cycle is complete, if using an electric cooker, hit the Cancel button to turn off the heat.
With a stove-top cooker, remove from heat.
Then place a towel over the pressure release knob and allow pot to do a quick pressure release.
When pressure is released, open lid.
Carefully remove crisp from cooker using foil sling.
For a crisper, crunchier top, place under the broiler in the oven for a few minutes until browned.
Then serve with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!
- This apple cranberry crisp highlights all the flavors of a mulled apple cider — with a holiday twist of cranberries, and a lovely crispy crunchy topping.
What do you love most about fall? Will you make this Allergy-Friendly Apple Cranberry Crisp in the Instant Pot?
This post was featured in 22 Real Food Instant Pot Desserts.
And check out our other delicious fall dessert recipes on the blog…
- Soaked Pumpkin Muffins With Cream Cheese Filling
- Sprouted Apple Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies
- Grain-Free Apple Pie Shortbread Bars With Crumb Topping
- Pumpkin Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Pie Panna Cotta: The Elegant, 5-Minute, No-Bake Thanksgiving Dessert
- Sourdough Apple Cinnamon Rolls With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Instant Pot Chai Spiced Apple Cake
- Soaked Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Probiotic Apple Panna Cotta w/Caramel Apple Drizzle
just 12 minutes of cook time ... fluffy, delicious, and easy!
FREE Recipe:"Instant Pot Sourdough Cornbread"
Is it really possible to "eat what you want to eat" like bread and butter, cinnamon rolls and cookies, meat and potatoes...
Bible-based cooking program...
...yet it's GOOD for you?
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).