recipe from “Sahtein: Middle East Cookbook”
- 4 cups of dried mulukhiyyah (comfrey)
- 2 pounds lamb meat (boneless preferred)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 6 cups water or lamb broth
- salt and lemon juice to taste
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- prepared, cooked brown rice
Brown the garlic with pine nuts in the butter. Add the meat; brown it and add spices.
Rinse the mulukhiyyah (comfrey) well, picking out the little stems. Add to the meat.
Stir for 5 minutes on low fire. Add the water or lamb broth. Let boil and add the lemon juice.
Cook for 1-1/2 hours until lamb is tender. Serve over cooked brown rice.
Note: If you use the meat with bones, boil meat, strain, and then brown with garlic and pine nuts.
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).