The secrets to this stew's success are: homemade beef stock, simple seasonings and generous potato halves. Really, that's all! Simplicity delivers a powerful punch.
Fantastically Simple Beef Stew
I serve this with a salad and sourdough rolls.
- 1/2 gallon beef stock homemade, plus additional water as needed
- 1 to 2 pounds grass-fed beef stew meat
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced, or your preferred amount, or quality dried garlic to taste
- 5 potatoes medium sized, of your preferred variety - we like Yukon Gold or reds
- sea salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast optional
Brown the stew meat, onions, and garlic in a little coconut oil or reserved beef fat.
Add the stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for many hours, until meat is succulent and tender.
Add more water as needed during the cooking time, to replace evaporating broth.
About 1/2 hour before serving, scrub and halve the potatoes and add to the stew, along with additional water as needed to cover. (Cut potatoes into smaller pieces if your potatoes are on the large size.)
Add salt, pepper and nutritional yeast.
Adjust seasonings to taste, including more garlic, if desired.
Allow to simmer until potatoes are tender when speared with a fork.
© Copyright 2009 by Wardee Harmon
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).