Spring is undeniably my favorite time of year! It is full of promise and new life — it’s when I slip into a lightweight skirt, kick off my shoes, and wiggle my toes in the soft dirt. It’s also the time of year when anything seems possible. You can either curl up in your cozy jeans with a cup of tea or sip on a smoothie outside.
I love to go out to the garden and pick fresh vegetables for a meal. Amazing produce like green onions, asparagus, and snow peas are ready to enjoy in the spring. What better way to celebrate spring than with a light soup to highlight the first produce of the season?
Chicken and Spring Vegetable Soup
This savory chicken and spring vegetable soup brings the flavors of spring into your kitchen.
- 2 pounds chicken breast, thighs or legs (bone in)
- 3 quarts pure water
- 1 pound asparagus woody parts of the stems cut off, the rest cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound snow peas cut off tips and remove the tough string
- 1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups water cress ends cut off
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper freshly ground
In a large pot, warm butter over medium heat.
Add the onions and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt.
Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring as needed to prevent burning.
Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the chicken, water, remaining salt, thyme and black pepper.
Simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
While the chicken is simmering, prep the asparagus, snow peas, potatoes, and water cress.
Remove the chicken and set aside to cool.
Pull the meat from the bone.
Chop or shred the chicken as desired.
Add the potatoes and simmer for 5 minutes, until almost tender.
After 5 minutes add the asparagus, snow peas, and chicken, simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat and add the water cress.
What Other Healthy Soups Can I Make?
We’ve got plenty of healthy soup recipes for you to try! Here are just a few:
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Quinoa Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Delicious Pauper’s Chicken Stew
- Chicken And Spring Vegetable Soup
- THM Blended Red Lentil Soup
- Homemade Cream Of Vegetable Soup (Without The Can)
What are your favorite spring vegetables?
use any flour, NO kneading,
starter instructions included!
Free Recipe: "No-Knead
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).