You’ll be a lifelong convert of sourdough desserts once you try sourdough chocolate cake… or long-fermented sourdough cinnamon rolls. If you aren’t already, that is! This round-up of 30+ sourdough dessert recipes will surprise and delight you equally!
Yes, sourdough can be used to create luscious desserts, too!
Contrary to popular belief, sourdough desserts need not be sour… and yet the benefits of sourdough are numerous, including tempering the effect of baked goods on blood sugar!
And the icing on the cake? Desserts prepared through traditional, long-fermented sourdough are more nutritious and digestible.
If you’re curious about sourdough or need help with your sourdough starter, check out our sourdough tips, troubleshooting and FAQs article for simple answers to all your burning questions! You can also check out our sourdough archive here at TCS for our favorite, tried-and-true sourdough recipes!
Sourdough Dessert Recipes
We carefully reviewed this collection of sourdough dessert recipes to make sure each recipe meets our criteria of: 1) using whole foods and 2) calling for a sufficient souring time on the grain*.
*Why sufficient souring time? Combining the sourdough starter and flour and letting them sour together for 6 to 8 hours or more allows the sourdough starter to “work on” the rest of the flour and make it nutritious and digestible.
Image courtesy of Butter For All.
Sourdough Cobblers & Pies
- Honey-Lemon Rhubarb Pie with Sourdough Crust
- Allergy-Friendly Sourdough Cobbler
- Sourdough Clafoutis with Black Cherries and Maple Syrup
- Miniature Maple Apple Pies — These snack-sized treats are encased in a buttery, sourdough pastry crust!
Sourdough Cakes & Brownies
- Sourdough Chocolate Cake — This recipe is heaven in a cake pan… topped with a decadent, velvety chocolate ganache! Check out our Instant Pot variation here.
- Sourdough Election Cake — Election Cake is a traditional cake historically served at election time in early America.
- Rye Sourdough Brownies
- Sourdough Brownies — Use up your sourdough discard in this recipe! (More sourdough discard recipes)
- Sourdough Black Forest Cake — A scrumptious torte made from layers of dark chocolate cake, sour cherries, and cherry-flavored whipped cream.
- Campfire Sourdough Orange Cake
- Sourdough Spice Cake
- Sourdough Gingerbread Cake
- Gluten-free Sourdough Molasses Spice Cake
- Sourdough Chocolate Raspberry Tea Cake — What is a teacake? Cake that doesn’t crumble. Use your hands! Use a fork! It all works with this tasty treat!
- Sourdough Shortcakes with Strawberries and Cream — Perfectly sweet with a soft cake-like texture.
Sourdough Muffins & Cupcakes
- Gluten-free Sourdough Chocolate Cupcakes
- Coconut Sourdough Muffins — The variations are endless with this recipe! Try raspberry/lemon, apple/cinnamon, or cherry/almond…
- Sourdough Pumpkin Bread — Pumpkin bread or pumpkin muffins, take your pick!
Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls & Donuts
- Baked Sourdough Donuts
- Einkorn Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls — Soft, fragrant, and beautiful… plus naturally fermented and made with the ancient wheat einkorn for easier digestion.
- Pumpkin Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting — This recipe is a dream: no kneading of the dough, it rises beautifully and bakes up soft and tender. No yeast required!
- Long-Fermented Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls
- Giant Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls With Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
Image courtesy of Butter For All.
Unique Sourdough Desserts
Who doesn’t love dessert for breakfast? 🙂
- Gluten-free Sourdough Banana Fritters — These fritters are free of gluten, eggs, dairy, and gums often used in gluten-free baking!
- Sourdough Crepes
- Soft and Chewy Sourdough Crepes
- Sourdough Chocolate Waffles
- Sourdough Toaster Tarts
Enjoy! What are your favorite sourdough dessert recipes? Feel free to link up in the comments! And if you’re looking for even more sourdough desserts, check out our Sourdough A to Z eCourse!
This post was originally published and written by Wardee Harmon on 7/7/15. It was updated and republished on 3/4/22.
save time, spend less, and get healthy... simple & delicious traditionally-cooked meals using ingredients you already have... even leftovers... 30 min or less!
free worksheet + videos:
Healthy Dinner in 30 Minutes... While Spending $0 Extra!
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).