A nut milk bag allows you to make delicious nut and seed milks quickly, efficiently, and with less mess. Although a variety of nut milk bags are available commercially, I have found good, strong, inexpensive cotton bags to be harder to find.
If you can sew a straight line, you can make your own unbleached cotton milk bag in about twenty minutes for only a few dollars.
I will also give away a handmade nut milk bag to one reader! See below for the details!
DIY Nut Milk Bag
- 20″ x 14″ piece of unbleached cotton (always wash your cotton before you cut!)
- 27″ piece of cotton string, yarn, or even a cotton shoelace
1. Fold the piece of cotton in half so that it now measures 10″ x 14″. The fold will be one side of your bag. Measure 2″ down from the top of the bag and mark with two pins. This is where you will start to sew.
2. Starting at the seam, sew the side and bottom with a 1/4″ seam.
3. Trim the seam to about 1/8″ and cut off the corner close to your stitching.
4. Turn the bag inside out and press well. Once again starting 2″ from the top, sew the side and bottom seams again with a ¼” seam. This will completely encase the raw edges of the fabric.
5. Turn the bag right side out. Stitch down the folded edges on the top 2″ of the bag. Fold the top edge down 3/8″ and press.
6. Then fold the edge down again about 3/4″ and press again. This will form the casing for the string to go through. Stitch around the top, close to the bottom edge.
7. Attach a safety pin to the end of your string and feed it through the casing. Tie the two ends in a knot.
That's it! Now you're ready to make some delicious nut milk! To use the nut milk bag, blend your (soaked) nuts and water together well, then pour through the nut milk bag to strain it.
Do you make your own nut milk? What is your favorite formula?
just 15 minutes of hands-on time!
Free No-Knead Einkorn Sourdough Bread Recipe
Is it really possible to "eat what you want to eat" like bread and butter, cinnamon rolls and cookies, meat and potatoes...
Bible-based cooking program...
...yet it's GOOD for you?
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).