Erin’s back, at your request, with a lovely, flexible, and simple main dish. Undoubtedly, her kiddoes think it is delicious as well! 😀 Thanks, Erin!
Oh the flexibility of this recipe! Makes it a bit intimidating to type it down for you. Please feel free to tweak, add, and substitute till your heart’s content. What’s fresh and growing in your garden? What did you spot at the farmer’s market? Craving a certain herb or spice? Have a few leftovers in the fridge that need to be used up? Create away! Have fun. Enjoy the colors and flavors of spring! This delicious salad compliments a plate of salad greens beautifully and tastily fills a homemade flour tortilla. It will also hold its own as a light main course.
Smoked Salmon and Rice Salad
- 1 cup plain yogurt or kefir, use a little more or less, as needed
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise homemade
- tomatoes chopped
- peas fresh if you can get them otherwise unfrozen but not cooked
- 1/2 cup green onions include some of the green
- cucumber peeled and grated, 1/2 to a whole cucumber , squeeze out juice before adding to the bowl
- hard boiled egg 3 or so chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or more dried, 1 tablespoon or more fresh
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- lemon juice juice of half to 1 lemon, or 2 to 3 tablespoons
- sea salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice see below for rice cooking instructions
- smoked salmon however much you have available and feels good to add
In a medium size bowl combine yogurt, mayo, chopped tomatoes, peas, green onions, grated and squeezed cucumbers, chopped hard boiled eggs, dill, parsley, curry, and lemon juice.
Give it a taste.
Add some salt and pepper.
Take another look through your fridge.
Anything else you want to add? Go for it.
Combine sauce with the flaked smoked salmon and cooked rice.
Add more yogurt/mayo if you'd like a saucier consistency.
Try a taste.
Adjust your seasonings.
Top a salad. Fill a tortilla. Spoon into a bowl. Most importantly, ENJOY!
*Make your own kefir.
The night before you make this salad, soak your rice.
This would also be a great recipe to use up leftover rice.
Soak 2-1/2 cups of brown rice in 5 cups of warm water and 5 tablespoons of whey for at least 7 hours.
Drain off the liquid and combine the rice, 4-1/2 cups of water, and a couple pinches of salt in a large sauce pan.
Bring to a boil.
Turn down heat.
Allow to simmer for about 40 minutes.
Check toward the end of cooking time to see if all the liquid has been absorbed.
If so, fluff with fork, and allow to cool uncovered.
This post was featured in 33 Nourishing Main Dish Salads.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
save time, spend less, and get healthy... simple & delicious traditionally-cooked meals using ingredients you already have... even leftovers... 30 min or less!
free worksheet + videos:
Healthy Dinner in 30 Minutes... While Spending $0 Extra!
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).