Do you have a tried-and-true recipe that's so good, you make it over and over again?
In our house, it's this homemade lemon garlic dressing. It pairs perfectly with so many salads and dishes, I've affectionately named it “Everything Dressing”! It's just the best salad dressing recipe ever!
Tangy and savory, this simple homemade dressing (technically a vinaigrette) livens up everything from salads to roasted veggies to grilled meats. You can even use it as a marinade or dip. It's perfect for basically everything… hence the name!
The best part is how simple it is to make — 5 minutes tops! You can get creative, too, and add whatever fresh herbs or vinegars you have on hand.
Try this dressing on a huge bed of greens and raw veggies alongside this healthy Chuy's copycat chicken tortilla soup. A simple dinner that's sure to be a favorite!
Lemon-Garlic Dressing Key Ingredients
These basic ingredients make a divine dressing:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil — Use a good quality, cold-pressed EVOO for a smooth, mild flavor to let the other ingredients shine.
- Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice — Lemon is the main acid we're using and imparts a bright taste, plus raw enzymes. Sometimes I add even more lemon than the recipe calls for because I love it so much!
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar — I like adding a little ACV (with the mother) for extra tang and a probiotic boost, but you could use any type of vinegar you prefer. Or, omit it altogether since lemon is so acidic anyway. Before you do, check out 5 Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar. You may decide it's not worth omitting! 😉
- Minced Garlic — Don't skimp on the garlic here! I prefer using Pampered Chef garlic press instead of mincing to cut down on prep time.
- Fresh Chopped Parsley — Fresh parsley adds vibrant color and freshness to this dressing, but feel free to use any fresh herbs you have on hand. Basil and dill are also great choices.
Tips For The Best Lemon-Garlic Probiotic Vinaigrette
I've noticed that this dressing does best left at room temperature. When refrigerated, the oil hardens and the dressing is difficult to shake and use.
After 12 to 24 hours at room temperature, this dressing can be considered probiotic.
You can continue to use it for 4 to 5 days at room temperature. After this time, the flavor profile starts to sour as the dressing begins to ferment.
For the freshest taste, I prefer using this dressing quickly after it's made. It doesn't last long in our house!
You can make and store the dressing in a small Mason jar, or grab a pretty glass dressing container. It's worth getting one if you make homemade dressings quite often.
Since we just had beautiful limes in season, I subbed lime juice for lemon last week and it was equally delicious.
I make this dressing pretty salty, since it's being used to season a whole salad. But to keep from going overboard for the recipe, I started at 1/2 teaspoon. You can add more to your taste preference. I usually end up using 1 whole teaspoon.
Probiotic Lemon-Garlic Salad Dressing Vinaigrette
Ready for the best salad dressing ever... that goes with EVERYTHING, from salads to roasted veggies to grilled meats?! This homemade vinaigrette combines fresh herbs and garlic with lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, and raw apple cider vinegar for a tangy, probiotic boost. It's super easy (5 minutes tops!) and healthy, too, because you're in charge of the ingredients. No additives, chemicals, or processed foods!
Combine all ingredients in a small jar.
Adjust salt to taste.
Shake well before using.
For a probiotic dressing, let sit at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours.
You can keep it for 4 to 5 days at room temperature, before it starts going sour. At that point (or sooner, if desired), move to the refrigerator and let it thaw in a bowl of warm water before using.
Now that you have the dressing, here are some yummy salad ideas!
Do you have a go-to healthy salad dressing recipe that your family enjoys? Please share in the comments!
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).