This healthy banana bread recipe is our treat during a time when our diet is very restrictive! Use spelt flour or any ancient grain. This recipe is soaked for gentle digestion, low histamine, low Vitamin A (VAD*), and only lightly sweetened.
*VAD = Vitamin A Detox
This is a staple in our home and our daughter Haniya’s home, too!
I shared recently how I and other members of my family have been working through some health issues, including IBS and histamine intolerance. Well, this healthy banana bread recipe is our treat during a time when our diet might be very restrictive! It’s soaked for gentle digestion, low histamine (but test to see if you tolerate not-too-ripe bananas), low Vitamin A, and only lightly sweetened.
We usually make it with spelt, but any ancient grain flour or even whole wheat or pastry flour will work, too. Learn more about how to choose the right ancient grains for your family here.
Table Of Contents
- Potato masher
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon for mixing
- Loaf pans
- Spelt flour — Or another ancient grain flour, such as einkorn. Choose spelt for low Vitamin A. I like to use freshly ground flour, which you can learn more about in my home grain milling archives!
- Soaking acid — Such as raw apple cider vinegar, Kombucha, water kefir or milk kefir, lemon juice, or whey.
- Bananas — Choose organic if possible. Use not too ripe bananas for low Vitamin A and low histamine.
- Vanilla extract — Learn how to make your own here! Omit for low Vitamin A.
- Sweetener of choice — Can be dry or liquid sweetener. I typically choose coconut sugar. If you choose a liquid sweetener such as maple syrup, reduce the water a bit.
- Spices — Cinnamon and/or ginger. Omit cinnamon for low Vitamin A.
Healthy Soaked Banana Bread Recipe
- Combine flour, water, and vinegar in a medium bowl and let soak overnight.
- Preheat oven. Prepare three loaf pans by greasing with desired oil.
- Add mashed bananas, vanilla (if using), coconut sugar, cinnamon (if using), and salt to the mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle on the baking soda and baking powder, then mix briefly until incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the three loaf pans (about 1/2 to 2/3 full).
- Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Soaked Banana Bread
This healthy banana bread recipe is our treat during a time when our diet is very restrictive! It's soaked for gentle digestion, low histamine, low Vitamin A, and only lightly sweetened.
- 6 cups spelt flour (800 grams) mine is fresh ground, so if yours isn't, use less by volume due to settling
- 3 cups pure water
- 3 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar or other soaking acid such as Kombucha, kefir, lemon juice, or whey
- 5-6 bananas not too ripe, mashed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract omit for low Vitamin A
- 1-1/2 cups coconut sugar or maple syrup, but reduce the water a bit
- 1 to 3 teaspoons ground ginger or cinnamon, if not following low Vitamin A
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or 50:50 salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
Combine flour, water, and vinegar in a medium bowl and let soak overnight.
In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prepare three loaf pans by greasing with desired oil (I use refined avocado oil).
Add mashed bananas, vanilla (if using), coconut sugar, cinnamon (if using), and salt to the mixing bowl. Mix.
Sprinkle on the baking soda and baking powder, then mix briefly until incorporated.
Divide the batter between the three loaf pans (about 1/2 to 2/3 full).
Bake for 45 min to an hour, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from pans and let cool completely on rack.
Freezes well! I keep one loaf in the fridge and freeze the other two for later.
You can substitute 1/2 cup applesauce for each banana, up to 1 total cup of applesauce, or 2 bananas. This will make a wetter batter.
For low Vitamin A, omit vanilla extract and choose ginger instead of cinnamon.
More Info on Low Vitamin A (VAD)…
If you’re curious about the low Vitamin A and why you might consider it for stubborn health issues, let’s hear from the world’s foremost expert, Dr. Garrett Smith:
- How to Heal Digestive Issues Naturally (also gives a wonderful overview of liver health and Vitamin A toxicity)
- How to Balance Hormones Naturally (also explains Vitamin A and copper toxicity)
- How to Heal Skin Conditions Naturally (more on Vitamin A toxicity and liver health)
Each one of those links has a podcast you can listen to or there are notes if you prefer to read. Just check them out and see if they resonate with you. If they do, look for links near the end of each to pursue it.
...without giving up the foods you love or spending all day in the kitchen!
2 free books:
Eat God's Way
Ditch the Standard American Diet, get healthier & happier, and save money on groceries...
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).