- 1 onion, diced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- meat from 1/2 to 1 whole cooked chicken
- 8 cups cooked beans (such as pinto or kidney, or both)
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- pinch of cayenne pepper, or as much as desired
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can light coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- sliced olives
Saute the onions in olive oil over medium heat in a large stockpot. Add chicken chunks, beans, and diced tomatoes. Whisk tomato paste and water together in a 4-cup measuring glass. Add to pot. Add all spices. Let all ingredients simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add coconut milk, nutritional yeast and/or olives 5 minutes before serving, if using.
© Copyright 2008 by Wardee Harmon.
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).