Are you avoiding white potatoes?
Will you miss the potato casseroles that are so typical of holiday meals?
Try this tried-and-true family recipe!
It's my favorite way to make cauliflower, learned from my mother.
Cauliflower's mild flavor makes for a wonderfully versatile vegetable that can be used and adapted in a number of ways. We often puree ours to use in place of mashed potatoes — or serve it roasted, or in a creamy “sauce” with cheese on top.
This recipe can be served with roast chicken, pork chops, or grilled steak. It's the perfect stand-in for scalloped potatoes or a “mock mac-n-cheese”.
It can also form the base of a meaty casserole: add bacon, sliced smoked sausage, or cubed ham (healthy versions of course!) to stretch it further.
If you are a dairy-free cook, you will appreciate that this does not involve a milk-based white sauce.
Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
This is my favorite way to make cauliflower, learned from my mother. It can be served with roast chicken, pork chops, or grilled steak. It’s the perfect stand-in for scalloped potatoes or a “mock mac-n-cheese”. Serves 4.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium-sized saucepan with a small amount of water, steam cauliflower until it is cooked through and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Drain well and set aside, but keep warm.
- In a casserole dish, add cauliflower and enough mayonnaise to completely coat it. Feel free to add more to adjust consistency — the more mayonnaise you add, the creamier it will be.
- Add mustard and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is nicely browned.
- Serve immediately.
Can you see this dish on your holiday table in place of potatoes this year? How do you like your cauliflower?
This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. Thank you for supporting Traditional Cooking School by GNOWFGLINS with your purchases. Our family thanks you!