I can't believe next week is Thanksgiving. Can you? We got snow this morning. It lasted for an hour or so and it didn't stick — typical for our area of Oregon.
Our heritage breed pastured turkey is coming from our friends Beth and Kerry Olson of B&K Natural Farm. We'll pick it up next Wednesday. They say most of their flock turned out to be toms this year — meaning bigger birds in general. We'll either get a small one that fits in my roasting pan, or a larger one they'll cut in half to fit in my roasting pan. I'm okay with either. Having an extra half a turkey in the freezer for whenever is very nice!
What are you planning for your Thanksgiving menu? We'll do the usual — turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, salad, cranberry relish and pumpkin pie. I might do stuffing. We don't usually because there's already so much food. 😉
Are you looking for last-minute inspiration for your menu? I've got some great ideas for you!
Real Food Thanksgiving Menu Ideas
These recipes are from past posts here — with years and years of posts, it is nice every once and awhile to dig for the gems!
- Perfectly Moist Turkey Every Time — learn how to bake a heritage bird to perfection
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Fermented Cranberry-Apple-Orange Relish
- Pumpkin Pie — this happens to be dairy-free, egg-free and gluten-free, but its main selling point with me (now that we don't have food allergies) is that it tastes better than any pumpkin pie I've ever had
- EggNog — enough said 🙂
Whole Foods for the Holidays
Remember what I and some other bloggers did last year? We hosted a real food holiday progressive dinner in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving. It was great! Real food bloggers from all over participated, sharing family favorite holiday dishes made with real foods. We included:
- Soups with me at GNOWFGLINS
- Appetizers with Katie at Kitchen Stewardship
- Salads with Donielle from Naturally Knocked Up
- Bread dishes with Diana at A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa
- Main dishes with Stephanie at Keeper of the Home
- Extra side dishes with Kimi at The Nourishing Gourmet
- Desserts with Kate at Modern Alternative Mama
- Drinks with Michele at Frugal Granola
Please do visit the host blogs — you'll find recipe upon recipe to round out your Thanksgiving menu!
More Sweet Ideas
35% off through midnight tonight (Fri)! Smart Sweets is the newest (and 4th) eBook from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship. Just in time for the holidays! Many recipes are grain-free or gluten-free. Click here to purchase and use the coupon code 2DAY35OFF — you'll also get a free copy of MadeOn's My Buttered Life: Gift-Giving Edition. (You can download a free PDF of Katie's apple crisp recipe here.)
More Real Food Recipes
Visit eatnourishing.com, too (a free real food recipe sharing site). New recipes are added daily and they look really good! And last but not least, you can browse my extensive recipe archives for more ideas.
Happy Thanksgiving menu planning! Use the comments to share what what's on your menu — talking menus is always fun for me. 🙂
just 15 minutes of hands-on time!
Free No-Knead Einkorn Sourdough Bread Recipe
Is it really possible to "eat what you want to eat" like bread and butter, cinnamon rolls and cookies, meat and potatoes...
Bible-based cooking program...
...yet it's GOOD for you?
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).