Apple cider vinegar can be used in every room of the house, and outside, too! From the kitchen to the bathroom, this powerful natural remedy is versatile and effective. Here are 5 health benefits of apple cider vinegar plus 50 unique ways to use it!
If you’re health conscious at all, you’re almost guaranteed to have a bottle of apple cider vinegar (usually with “the mother”) in your cupboard.
Since I was a teen, this item has been a staple in our home and used everywhere from the kitchen to the bathroom.
Is there a single item that’s more versatile and widely used? I think not.
If you’re new to apple cider vinegar, want to learn about its benefits, or need some new creative ways to use it, you’re in the right place!
What is apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar (ACV for short) is made by the fermentation of sugar from apples which is transformed into acetic acid. This special liquid is powerful stuff!
You can find apple cider vinegar at basically any grocery or health food store, but you want to look for one with “the mother” culture to get the most benefits. The mother is the part that contains enzymes and good bacteria.
If you’re a DIY kind of person, you can actually make apple cider vinegar yourself! It’s easy!
5 Health Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Indeed, apple cider vinegar boasts many health benefits and has been widely used as a natural home remedy for centuries.
While there haven’t been a ton of studies published, some research suggests that ACV has great benefits for both internal and external use.
Here are five of the most studied health benefits:
- Skin Health: It can restore skin’s pH balance and treat conditions such as rashes, warts, nail fungus, and more.
- Antibacterial/Antimicrobial Properties: It can kill harmful bacteria, and Hippocrates himself used it over 2000 years ago to clean wounds (source).
- Digestive Soother: ACV may improve digestion by increasing the production of stomach acid, managing heartburn, and supporting liver detoxification (source).
- Type 2 Diabetes Support: Some studies show that ACV increases insulin sensitivity and helps lower blood sugar levels (source).
- Weight Management: It can promote weight loss by increasing your feeling of fullness, thus helping you eat fewer calories.
How much apple cider vinegar should I consume?
With all the internal and external benefits of apple cider vinegar, you may be ready to add it to your wellness regimen.
But remember that when it comes to ACV, you don’t need much to experience the benefits. In fact, you should make sure to dilute it in water or use in recipes instead of drinking it straight.
Not only is it really sour, it can damage tooth enamel or upset digestion if you drink too much. Yet, just the right amount improves health and digestion.
Around 15 to 30 milliliters per day is the perfect amount. Simply add it to water as a tonic or drizzle in salad dressings, etc.
There are a bunch of fun ways to use it below!
50 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar
There are almost countless ways to use ACV in your everyday life, but I rounded up the best ones and listed them for you here. If you have other good ideas, be sure to share them in the comments section!
Uses For Skin
- Dab a small amount and cover with a bandage to help remove moles, warts, or skin tags. (Be careful not to use too much, as it can cause minor skin burns since it’s so acidic.)
- Dab on skin to soothe eczema.
- Dilute and spray on skin to soothe sunburn, or soak for at least 20 minutes in a tub filled with cool water and 2 cups of ACV.
- Make a natural bug spray by diluting with water and spray on skin.
- Dilute in water to create a foot soak for toenail fungus.
- Use as a toner for acne-prone skin.
- Apply to scalp to improve dandruff.
- Dab on fever blisters.
- Apply to baby’s scalp to treat cradle cap.
Around The Homestead
- Combine 1 cup ACV + 2 cups water + 20 drops essential oils in a spray bottle to use as an all-purpose cleaner.
- Fabric softener in laundry.
- Make your own fruit fly trap.
- Use as a weed killer.
- Improve the health of your animals.
- Mix with water to make a deodorizing spray (Febreeze alternative).
- Spray onto pets as a natural flea repellent.
In The Kitchen
- Dilute and use as a fruit and veggie wash.
- Add a splash to homemade bone broth to draw extra nutrients out of the bones.
- Add a splash to regular milk to make your own “buttermilk“.
- Use as an acidic medium in your soaking water to help break down phytic acid in grains.
- Add citrus peels to a jar of ACV to make a special citrus cleaner.
- Put in tomato-based sauces like homemade fermented ketchup, BBQ sauce, or salsa for added tang.
- Add to marinades and homemade salad dressings like lemon garlic dressing.
- Add a bit to the cooking water when boiling or poaching eggs for a better result (to help firm up whites).
In The Bathroom
- Use as a natural hair rinse for shiny soft hair.
- Create an easy hair detangler.
- Soak in a detox bath with 1 cup ACV.
- Splash onto armpits before using homemade deodorant to prevent itch from baking soda.
- Use it to clean dentures, retainers, and mouthguards.
- Leave your toothbrush in it for around 30 minutes to disinfect (rinse well before using, as the acid on teeth can be detrimental).
- Drink ACV lemonade water to stay hydrated.
- Gargle a mix of ACV and water to help clear sinus drainage or soothe sore throat.
- Soothe or prevent heartburn by drinking 1 tablespoon ACV in a glass of water.
- Make this potent ACV super tonic remedy to ward off illness like cold and flu. This cold remedy is also fantastic!
- Add to baby’s bath to soothe diaper rash.
- Drink 1 tablespoon ACV in water before meals to improve digestion and prevent over-eating.
- Add to a hot drink for cold-fighting powers with honey, lemon, and cinnamon.
Add To Yummy Recipes
Image courtesy of Happy Mothering.
- Homemade Mayonnaise — Easier than store-bought, and more nutritious, too!
- Probiotic Mixed Berry Switchel — Anti-inflammatory, pH-balancing, and probiotic, this is the ultimate hydrating beverage!
- Red Cabbage Slaw — A crunchy, tangy ACV slaw recipe with detoxifying powers.
- 5-Minute Caesar Dressing — Everyone’s creamy, savory salad favorite gets a health boost with apple cider vinegar.
- Poached Golden Beets — What a special way to make a nutritious veggie even more flavorful and healthy by poaching in ACV and spices!
- Paleo Sweet & Sour Chicken — Everyone loves sweet & sour chicken!
- Instant Pot Carne Asada Street Tacos — Mouthwatering steak + a special ACV marinade = the best street tacos copycat!
- Chopped Salad with Apple Vinaigrette — A festive, memorable salad.
- Four Thieves Vinegar — Make your own amazing and potent Four Thieves Vinegar using ACV as the base.
- Pineapple Mango Switchel — This sweet delicious drink electrolytes and delivers your daily dose of apple cider vinegar!
- Paleo & AIP BBQ Chicken Salad Bowl — Spicy, savory, and tangy yet allergy-friendly and nightshade-free!
- Whole30 Tuna Salad — Omega-3 rich tuna salad full of veggies with a splash of apple cider vinegar.
- Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie — Made with a special apple cider vinegar gravy, this shepherd’s pie is unique and nourishing.
What’s your favorite way to use apple cider vinegar? I’m sure there are lots more uses I haven’t mentioned here!
you're just 5 minutes away!
Free Instructions: "How To Start A Sourdough Starter"
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).