When my now 16-year-old was just two years old, we started making what we called “juiced teas.”
These concoctions were different kinds of tea (green, black, rooibos, or herbal) mixed with fresh juice and garnished with whole pieces of fruit and herbs. We LOVED them. All these years later, we are still infatuated.
For me, hibiscus iced tea is hard to beat. It is hydrating, beautiful, and nutritious — the epitome of summer beverages. When transformed into this Hibiscus Lemonade Slushie, it will thrill all, and leave you licking the blender jar!
Refreshing Hibiscus Lemonade Slushie
Nothing beats a Hibiscus Lemonade Slushie for healthy summer refreshment! Try it, plus 40 more healthy fruit-herb drinks, like infused waters, agua frescas, teas, lemonades, and more! There are refined sugar-free summer drink recipes for keto, paleo, and GAPS, too!
Combine boiling water and hibiscus flowers.
Cover and steep 30 minutes.
Place frozen watermelon in blender.
Strain hibiscus tea, then add to blender along with lemon juice, stevia, and sea salt.
Blend until slushie texture is achieved and watermelon is fully pureed, about 30-50 seconds. Use tamper as needed.
Serve and enjoy!
- *I lay my watermelon on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet to freeze
Below, you'll find a round-up of 40 more refreshing beverages to meet your keto, paleo, or GAPS Diet needs. These are the best and healthiest summer drinks: Herbal Lemonades, Agua Frescas and Infused Waters, Quick Probiotic Drinks and Switchels, Teas, Slushies, and Punches!
If you love herbs + fruit together as much as I do, you’re going to want to try several of these show-stopping recipes! And if you have any special gatherings, these refreshing summer drinks make great party beverages. They’re conversation pieces and beyond delicious.
- Red Clover Lemonade — Learn to forage for it, steep it, and sip it!
- Papaya-Cilantro Lemonade — An exciting, tropical flavor profile will transport you to island life, no matter where you live!
- Watermelon Lime Mocktail — Rehydrate with watermelon and lime. So refreshing.
- Healthy Sweet Woodruff Lemonade — Sweet woodruff, also called Wild Baby's Breath, is a forest plant (suited to shady corners of your garden) with white blossoms. This recipe comes from Germany where sweet woodruff is more commonly used than in the States, in beer, tea, sodas, jams, cakes and ice creams. Try it here with lovely lemonade, to really notice the herbal flavor.
- Hibiscus Lemonade — A beautiful combination of sweet, fruity and tart, outfitted in a pretty red dress!
- Lavender Lemonade with Honey — This classic is lovely served at outdoor gatherings and special events like baby and wedding showers. It’s a ladies’ favorite with the perfumes of lavender blossoms and raw honey.
- Watermelon Mint Lime Cooler — Watermelon is well balanced in this cooler by mint and lime. A great combination of flavors.
- Ultraviolet Lemonade — Such a pretty flower-based lemonade, this recipe uses fresh wild violets!
- Lemon Balm and Lavender Lemonades — Multiple recipes are shared by an herbalist who grows her own herbs and shares recipes on how to use them. Learn about the healing benefits of lemon balm and lavender, while sipping on these herb-infused beverages.
- Thai-Style Cilantro Limeade — With detoxifying properties and a boost of vitamin C, this refreshing Thai Limeade is sweet, notably herbaceous and welcome, especially on a hot day.
- Strawberry Mint Lemonade — A sweet strawberry lemonade is always welcome! These organic summer berries are sweetened with pure maple syrup and stirred with fresh mint. Delicious.
Agua Frescas & Infused Waters
The following drinks are often unsweetened. Agua Fresca simply means “fresh waters.” The water can be sparkling or still.
Agua frescas are infused with fruit and herbs for a light, hydrating beverage that tastes and feels healthy. The name of each drink describes its ingredients!
- Watermelon, Lime & Mint Agua Fresca
- Strawberry Orange Basil Infused Water
- Nourishing Homemade Vitamin Water with Watermelon, Citrus and Mint
- Strawberry & Basil Infused Water
- Pineapple Mint Agua Fresca
- Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresca
- Fruit & Herb Infused Waters (several varieties)
- 10 Hydrating Infused Waters
- Citrus Mint Cooler
- Elderflower and Lemon Agua Fresca — Learn how to forage elderflowers to make this simple and absolutely lovely flavored water. This post also shares about linden blossoms and how to make a lovely drink with cucumbers.
Quick Probiotic Drinks & Switchels
Instead I’ve focused on quick-to-make recipes that don’t require much waiting before the finished product can be consumed! When you’re thirsty, you want it now! BUT, if you’re after fermented beverages that take a bit longer, find a wonderful collection of probiotic drinks here.
- Rosemary & Cucumber Infused Ginger Beer — I have included one ginger beer recipe in this collection, because the ginger beer recipe starts with ready-made ginger beer. So if you happen to have some on hand, this combination of flavors sounds amazing.
- Strawberry Ginger Switchel — This quick fermented beverage is made with the super food apple cider vinegar. Pretty in pink, this switchel is a great way to hydrate!
- Lavender Blueberry Switchel — Whenever I make a batch of switchel my kids come running, and my husband waits behind politely; because he wants some too! Lavender Blueberry Switchel is one of our favorites. If you haven’t made switchel before, definitely try it this summer, especially on a hot day … or if you’ve been working in the fields. 😉
- Strawberry-Basil Switchel — This is a party favorite. You’ll love serving switchel to friends, introducing them to their new favorite beverage! This Strawberry-Basil one is so pretty and uses popular, crowd-pleasing ingredients.
- Iced Raspberry Mint Green Tea — While green tea and mint are a classic combination, this iced beverage smartly adds raspberries for a fruity zing that makes it pretty and fun.
- Green Tea Fruit & Mint Cooler a.k.a. “Skin Protecting Antioxidant Hello Sunshine Juice” — Green tea and mint are paired with watermelon and strawberries for a vitamin C-rich beverage that also contains catechins. The author explains the benefits of green tea in the summer time and how it provides UV protection.
- Non-Alcoholic Arnold Palmer — It’s a Southern thing! Combining the best of both worlds, this stevia-sweetened lemonade meets black tea!
- Green Hippie Juice — This drink is a Popeye’s favorite kind of a thing, chock-full of super foods + green tea. Get ready to detox with this spicy-sweet-iced concoction.
- Cold Brew Hibiscus Ginger Herbal Tea — Hibiscus, honey, ginger and lime make this a fruity, tart and spicy punch, sweet and refreshing.
- Raspberry Leaf, Rosemary and Orange Iced Tea — Hormone balancing and alive with flavor, this healthy herbal tea is revitalizing.
- Ruby Red Herbal Iced Tea — Rosy hues from rose hips and hibiscus meet with orange peel and berries in this herbalist’s refreshment.
- Hibiscus Iced Tea with Lime & Honey — This bright, beautiful, herbal brew is also tangy and high in vitamin C.
- Non Alcoholic Herbal Summer Sangria — Choose fresh herbs you love to make this family-friendly treat: lemon balm, nettles, spearmint or rose hips! Summer stone fruits and berries then get stirred in, and it all gets chilled. Sweeten to taste with raw honey or stevia, or leave unsweetened. Such a celebration of summer.
Slushies and Punches
- Lemon-Lime Coconut Basil Ice Slushie — Yum! Thai flavors come together in this dairy-free soft-serve. How lovely in hot weather!
- Watermelon Raspberry Party Punch — How good does this sound? I love the idea of party punch, and one that’s healthy!
- Watermelon Mint Slushie — This simple treat is nonetheless impressive. The taste of fresh mint is surprising and healthy, amidst the slushie comfort of everyone’s favorite summer treat, watermelon.
- Raspberry Lime Cooler — This cooler is creamy, from cashew milk, and yet tangy and refreshing.
- Cherry Mint Spritzer — No sweetener necessarily needed in this one, just a beautiful purée of cherries and fresh mint, with sparkling water.
- Morning Glory Juice — A pretty breakfast juice! This lovely morning treat features juiced oranges, apples, a lemon and turmeric root. It looks and sounds delicious, and oh-so-healthy!
What summer beverages make your summer cooler? (<— See my pun there? Heh-heh.)
just 15 minutes of hands-on time!
Free No-Knead Einkorn Sourdough Bread Recipe
Is it really possible to "eat what you want to eat" like bread and butter, cinnamon rolls and cookies, meat and potatoes...
Bible-based cooking program...
...yet it's GOOD for you?
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).