Honestly! I didn't know if I should name this delicacy “Oh My Lans Ketchup!”, “Mercy Sakes Ketchup!”, or “You Are Never Going to Believe It Ketchup!”.
When I think about this delicious, simple, and nutritious condiment, I can only shake my head. Can you imagine encouraging your child to take a dip in ketchup? Who doesn't love to dip?
Enjoy the taste and tang of summer year round with this lacto-fermented treat! Your gut will thank you… as will each of your friends and family members! 🙂
Lacto-Fermented Homemade Ketchup
- 12 ounces tomato paste organic, no salt added
- 3/8 cup pure water
- 1/8 cup whey or water*
- 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard powder could probably use a prepared Dijon mustard if you don't have powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon dried ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt I used larger grained salt
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey or molasses
*If using water instead of whey, increase sea salt to 3/4 teaspoon.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
Pour sauce into a storage container.
Cover and leave at room temperature for 2 days.
Move to the fridge.
Do you make your own homemade ketchup? Will you try lacto-fermenting it next time?
This post was featured in 43 Fermented & Probiotic-Filled Condiments and 92 Nourishing Grill & Barbecue Dishes, Drinks, & Desserts.
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).