Can I tell you a secret?
I don't like cauliflower.
And I never have.
I love mashed potatoes, however. I'm just not too keen on anything masquerading as mashed potatoes — let alone something like cauliflower!
It was a stretch for me to attempt blended cauliflower, a.k.a. “cauli-tatoes”.
Since I am always looking for new ways to add healthy vegetables to our diet, I am usually willing to give a creative preparation a try.
Can you believe that caulitatoes are not only one of my favorite vegetables of all time, they've become a family favorite as well?! That's right — even my children lick their plates clean.
I'm not watching my carbs or following a special diet, and I still love them. 😉
Perfect, No-Fail Caulitatoes
Need a low-carb, keto, or THM:S substitution for mashed potatoes? Learn how to make No-Fail Caulitatoes -- the best stand-in for real mashed potatoes! Makes approximately 3 cups.
- 1 large head cauliflower fresh, stems trimmed and florets roughly chopped
- pure water
- 3 tablespoons grass-fed butter or other fat of choice, such as ghee, tallow or lard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper omit for AIP
- herbs fresh of your choice, such as parsley or chives
Begin by cutting up the head of cauliflower. Remove as much of the stems from the florets as possible. Too much stem in your cauli-tatoes can give them a funky taste.
Then rough-chop the florets to be pea-size or smaller. You could also pulse them a few times in a food processor, but chopping them does the trick and gives you fewer dishes to wash later.
Next, steam the cauliflower. I don’t have a steamer basket, so I use a stock pot with a lid and a stainless steel colander. I put an inch of water in the bottom of my stock pot, place the colander inside the pot, add the cauliflower to the colander, then cover with the lid.
On medium-high heat, steam the cauliflower for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring twice during steaming. The cauliflower pieces should be just fork tender, but not mushy at all.
Transfer the steamed cauliflower to a high-speed blender.
Quickly add butter or ghee, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
Pulse a couple of times to get the blender going, then blend on low speed for 20 to 30 seconds, until smooth. Don’t over-blend or the cauli-tatoes will be too runny.
If desired, sprinkle with your favorite chopped herbs.
- ALWAYS use fresh cauliflower — not frozen!
- Don't be tempted to boil the cauliflower directly in the water. This adds too much moisture and will leave you with runny cauliflower sauce, not caulitatoes. Trust me. 😉
- Have a hankering for super healthy mashed potatoes and gravy? Substitute these caulitatoes for potatoes and whip up a batch of my Garlic-Tarragon Gravy to smother on top. YUM!
- Use up any leftovers within a day or two. After that, the flavor isn't as appealing.
- Reheat leftovers in a 350-degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If you don't have a high-speed blender, try a food processor or regular blender. I can't promise the same silky-smoothness, but it will still taste amazing. Just don't use a hand mixer.
- Feel bad about all those cauliflower stems going to waste? Compost them or feed them to your dogs. Cauliflower is a healthy food for dogs!
Caulitatoes are the new mashed potatoes! We have them at least once a week during the fall and winter when cauliflower is in season.
Pssst! If you have picky eaters, don't tell them you're making cauliflower, unless they ask. 😉 I bet you have some caulitato lovers on your hands soon!
Have you ever made caulitatoes? Do you think these are a good alternative to mashed potatoes?
Check out these other amazing cauliflower recipes!
so easy... save money and avoid unhealthy store-bought milk!
Free eBook: "Homemade Dairy-Free Milks & Dairy Subs"
Is it really possible to "eat what you want to eat" like bread and butter, cinnamon rolls and cookies, meat and potatoes...
Bible-based cooking program...
...yet it's GOOD for you?
We only recommend products and services we wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which we earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same).